Have you ever felt so happy that you want to break out into a song and dance number like one of those cheesy Rom-Com movies? And then suddenly you just feel so self conscious that you stop your self and just end up smiling but still you really want to leap out with joy. And as time goes by you grow and continue to just bottle up your happiness inside coz you’re too shy to let the world know about it.
When I was a kid my siblings and I really liked dancing a lot. But I would often hear me mom criticizing how stiff my body is when I dance. This kept playing in my subconscious. I always felt that I’m never gonna be beautiful enough or good enough, even in dancing. But now as an adult, I love dancing! I love breaking into a hearty sweat after doing some sick beats. I don’t care if I look stiff or sexy. Dancing makes me happy and I embraced it; I OWNED IT!
Becoming More Confident
Many of us has bottled up potential. But the problem is, we keep it bottled up. We just think that we are never good enough to shine as brightly as we can. We are afraid to fail, afraid to look ridiculous or just mere afraid of being really happy.
So how do you celebrate that inner star of yours? Well one is believing that you are a star. You are special. No one is a unique or as beautiful as you. Scars, bruises, heartaches, failures, stretchmarks and quirks make you the person that you are AND THAT IS SOMETHING TO BE PROUD OF. No one can do a better job of being you except you. When I was young I had struggled to be a person who is loved and accepted by other people, but now I just accept myself and stop caring about others. I mean I do care about helping them but I try to shut out all the negativity that they may bring.
1. Start Something New. – I mean you can be a supernova but if you just remain closed off to new things you will never grow. Learning something new makes you feel more alive. If you embrace the beauty of learning and surprising yourself, you will learn to fall in love with who you are more.
I recently joined a Zumba class. I was self conscious at first because I did not know the moves. I was slow and uncoordinated. Girls around me were dancing great. But you know what? When I just tried to focus on the Zumba Instructor on stage and just doing my thing, I started to enjoy the class.
2. Dance! – Well, I know you might say about this. You might say that you’re not into dancing or whatever, but dancing has great perks. It is a good exercise which is totally not boring and it literally loosens your buttons. Dance in the shower! Dance in the street. Dance when you hear your beat. Learn to smile and be happy. Dance in the rain. Enjoy and embrace life. You have to remember that today will never come back. You may never have the same opportunity to celebrate life, so you better dance now.
3. Embrace each and everyday. – One day you will grow old and gray. You’re skin will sag and you will be wiser than you have ever been. But you can only be thirty and four months and three days old once, so you better embrace today. There are days that you would rather crawl in bed and just stay there but you have to get up and live. I know life can be awful at times. The whole world can feel as if it is trying to destroy you, but believe me it’s not. You are gold, and because of that you will be hammered to your breaking point until you become a perfect piece.
4. Dream BIG and make it HAPPEN! – Many of us just dream about going abroad or having a fun job and think that these things never happen to people like yourself, but it can. Do you know Sylvester Stallone? He got to the point that he was so dirt poor that he became homeless. He had to sell his beloved dog. But when he wrote Rocky things changed for him. A studio offered him $100, 000 and then $150,000 until $300,000 for the script but they will get another actor. He refused. He wanted to be the lead in the movie. Finally they offered him $35,000 and the role. His movie bagged so many Oscars. He got the dog back for $15,000. But he never gave up! He wanted to be someone and he made it come true. He was homeless but he worked hard for his success. Attaining success is sweeter when work hard for it.
5. Believe in yourself. – There are times that you feel that you are so small and that you do not matter. But you do matter! You are a person who can help change this world for the better. You do deserve joy so stop punishing yourself. You need to be happy. You need to see joy even in the littlest things. You need to smile at the funny cat pictures on Facebook or the shape of the clouds in the sky. You need to love yourself and believe in yourself.
How Dancing Helped Me
Well dancing is something I was not very good at before. But once I found out that it made me happy I did not stop dancing. I not only started dancing, I also realized that I wanted to learn how to swim because I never knew how to. So I am planning to learn this next month. I want to surprise myself and achieve small successes which will turn out into big successes in the future.
Dancing recently also made me feel more confident and sexy. It is after all a good aerobic exercise. I feel really fabulous. Now I try to listen to my heart more than the voice of others, even my mother’s. I know that she may mean well, but I don’t want any more negativity in my life.
How can Confidence Help YOU?
Once you learn to be confident, you can attain so much in life. You can finally get the confidence to ask out the guy or girl you like. If he or she does not like you, you can always bounce back from that. You can now apply for that job that you really like. Or you can finally start that business that you feel would be your baby. Stop second guessing yourself, once you become more confident, you can conquer the world.
Make some plans. Work for them. Make them HAPPEN. And then JUST DANCE!
So yeah, dance! Dance like no one is watching. Nurture your soul. You can do it. Never let the judgment of others define you. It is never too late to become the person you dream to become. With a reasonable balance of confidence and humility you can be a rockin star. Let your stardust shower on others around you!